Passionate About the Community
and the Moms Who Live Here

Body After Babies :: Redefining Beauty

With the beginning of each new year comes the resolution talk. The most common New Years Resolution, especially for women, seems to be losing weight. While there is nothing wrong with this, I was hoping that we, as a blog team and community of moms, could begin this new year a little differently.

How about this for a New Years resolution:

I resolve to embrace myself just as I am.

I resolve to fight to love myself each day no matter what the scale says and despite any flaws I see reflected in that mirror.

Rather than fighting all year to change myself, I will fight to love myself- right where I’m at.

I resolve to stop letting our backwards society dictate what is beautiful and proudly reflect what true beauty looks like…

body after babies contributors

As I watched over forty of you participate in our photo shoot last weekend I was blown away by the beauty that filled that room. So many loving mothers with bodies that held stunning reminders of the life they had brought forth.

This series is about celebration. Through the images of real mother’s bodies and authentic women’s words, we are opening up a conversation that is long overdue. We value the spirits of each and every mother and it is time that we unleash our incredible beauty together. It is time for honesty. It’s time for freedom. It’s time to redefine what beauty is.

Come back tomorrow and Wednesday to read more from our contributors and guest bloggers as they open up about their own bodies and the struggle to embrace them as they are now.

A huge thank you to North Photography (the amazing photographer of the photos above), Artemis FitnessCedar Wood Natural Health Center, and Spotlight On Dance for sponsoring this series. We are so grateful to have the support!

BABpostgraphic1

Check out the blog posts in the rest of this Body After Babies series!

*Worth the Stretch

*Mysteries of the Mom Bod Unveiled

*Becoming the Shape of a Mother

*My Kids are Worth It

*Ode to My Body

*Honoring the Imperfect

*A Letter to My Daughters

*Brave and Unapologetic

*Letter to my Body(s)

*Sending Yourself Some Love…

*A Work in Progress

*Am I Broken?

*Biting the Apple

*Surrender

, ,

10 Responses to Body After Babies :: Redefining Beauty

1. Crystal Bissonnette January 13, 2014 at 7:48 am #

Absolutely beautiful! Stunning women and babes! Great job Northway Photography and BVMB!!!

2. Crystal Bissonnette January 13, 2014 at 7:50 am #

Correction: North Photography 🙂

3. Tina January 13, 2014 at 8:15 am #

Brave, Courageous group of woman!!! ROCK ON !! #truebeauty Thank you for starting the conversation and redefining beauty!! LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!

4. Beth January 13, 2014 at 10:08 am #

beautiful and brave women. Thank you for doing this!

5. Kristy January 13, 2014 at 10:50 am #

I can’t seem to see all the pictures, the slide show hits a hiccup around the 5th or 6th photo. Should I try something different? Maybe its my computer?

6. Katie Cox January 13, 2014 at 11:11 am #

I love this. I’m writing a similar post over at Des Moines Moms Blog on Thursday. Thanks for being brave and sharing your hearts.

7. EMH January 13, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

What an amazing and real look at proud women. I appreciate the personal information on number of pregnancies vs. number of children. As someone who recently experienced a miscarriage, it helps me keep in perspective that it happens to other women and I will one day soon be pregnant with a healthy baby. Thank you for you supportive blog and Facebook page.

• Steff
      Steff February 7, 2014 at 3:18 am #

Best wishes to you, EMH! Both of my children are “rainbow babies”, babies conceived after miscarriage (and both while I still would have been pregnant). I hope you experience the same joy. I still am unsure how to grieve, but you’re right, there’s something about hearing that others have gone through the same thing that unites us, lends support, and gives us hope.

8. amy davis January 14, 2014 at 10:45 am #

LOVE all those beautiful thighs!!! I am woman, hear me roar!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Emerge | Pregnancy and Body Image - October 8, 2014

[…] images of women with newly formed cellulite, stretch marks, and larger, darker breasts…let’s embrace the transforming female body that is creating […]