My family and I just returned from a GLORIOUS week at an all-inclusive resort in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico and our entire trip was amazing.
I have never been to an all-inclusive resort before and now I’m wondering why it took me so long. My kids are 5 and 7 and this vacation has to be the easiest thing I’ve ever done in my life. I don’t know what I was waiting for, and we all can’t wait to go again.
Here is a list of reasons you should be planning your next vacation at an all-inclusive resort:
- It’s ALL Inclusive. Do you know what that means? It means EVERYTHING/ALL is included. Food. Drinks. Sleeping. Sometimes even a “Kid Zone” where, in theory, you could drop your kids off for a day of kid fun while you hang one-on-one with your partner. Not me though, and not my kids- they just wanted to spend time with us. Which was awesome! I mean, who needs alone time with their partner?
- Forethought is not necessary. What? There isn’t a dinner plan? You forgot to make a reservation? NBD, head on over to the buffet and grab yourself a bite. Or order room service. Someone will bring you food. To your room. And then you can just leave the dirty dishes outside the door until they pick them up, and pour yourself another glass of wine to enjoy on the terrace (pronounced: tare-aaahhhsssss). It’s a real vacation when you don’t have to worry about feeding anyone! It’s also amazing to not have to research, plan, and make reservations for activities and excursions. For instance, we went to an amazing natural waterpark called Xel Ha and a bus actually picked us up at the resort, drove us to the resort and delivered us back home at the end of the day. Additionally, they fed us and gave us drinks while we were there. And it was the coolest place ever, and I really mean that.
- Have a drink. Nah- have two!! For goodness sake, who’s counting? Nobody, that’s who.
- Maybe you have a picky eater who only ate 2 bites of banana at breakfast before proclaiming he was full. Now it’s only been 30 minutes since you left breakfast and he, surprisingly, is starving. It’s ok… head back to the buffet for a snack. Your little brat can eat again and again. 2 bites here, another bite there…
- Or maybe you don’t want to go all the way back to the buffet. It’s okay, a server just made her way over to your beach chair to ask if you’d like a drink. Of course you do! I’m sure you could order food as well!
- Entertainment is always happening. I don’t know if it was just the resort we went to, but there was a live show every night! Dancing, singing, magic! There is something for everyone! Plus, sometimes there are daytime pool parties. That’s right. With singing and dancing and loud music! It’s pretty awesome.
- Pools. They are everywhere. And your children can stand in them by themselves. That’s right, you just lean back with your In Style Magazine and keep one eye on your magazine and another on the pool where your children are swimming. And if you are lucky like me, the pool has an actual pirate ship with slides!
- Towel service. That’s a thing. Say goodbye to soaking wet towels. Literally. Just trade them in for a dry one.
- Swim up bars. Or, according to the kids “smoothie pools”. You don’t actually have to get out of the water to get yourself or the kids a drink. Chocolate milkshake? Check. Strawberry Daiquiri? Check. Pina Colada? Check. It’s all very nutritious. Because of the fruit. Chocolate is a fruit right?
- Why am I still making this list? Just book yourself a vacation and relax already.
I did a little research and math and found that you can rent a 2 bedroom oceanside condo for about $1500 a week. Add to that approximately $500 on food for the week, unless you want fish every day like me, then add a little more, between going out and cooking. Probably more if you are having alcohol. If you decide to cook more, then you have to also go grocery shopping and spend time actually cooking, which equals less time spent in the pool with your family. You might need to rent a car for all of this, so add $200 more for the week. You will also have to figure out daily activities and excursions, which causes you to have to think.
It’s not really on the top of my list. So here you are, planning and thinking and driving and making sure you know where to go. It’s all very complicated. Or you can choose an all-inclusive resort for about the same price, and let your busy, tired brain rest! Let’s not forget that resorts will pick you up at the airport and drive you to your own personal paradise!
I am honestly the most relaxed I have ever been coming off of a vacation. Moms, dads, grandparents- do yourselves a favor and go all-inclusive. What are you waiting for?
Pro tip: When you are googling your all-inclusive resort, check TripAdvisor for great reviews and pictures from actual guests of the resort. You’ll get the good, the bad and the ugly and you will find the perfect match for your family!