As I sit here eating my kids’ Halloween candy, I am reminded that my favorite holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas, are just around the corner. Most of all, I get excited thinking about the holiday fun my family and I can participate in between now and Christmas, so I thought I could share my family’s holiday wishes with the BVTMB community.
- Burlington Santa Parade and Tree Lighting: November 24th
Takes place at the Church Street Marketplace. The parade starts at noon, and there are live reindeer, miniature horse rides, shopping and the holiday tree lighting promptly at 6pm. Make sure to grab a hot cocoa, dress warmly, and enjoy.
- Photos with Santa: December 1st (3pm-7pm), December 2nd (12pm-7pm), and December 3rd (1pm-6pm)
Have a photo taken with Santa at Maple Tree Place in Williston and purchase a photo package to remember the holiday.
- Shelburne Tree Lighting and Santa Visit: December 1st
Caroling starts at 5:45pm and the tree lighting is at 6pm. You can visit with Santa while also enjoying a hot beverage and craft in the Town Hall and if you are lucky, you may spot the SD Ireland truck decorated with lights.
- BVTMB Holiday Party and Pictures with Santa: December 2nd
Burlington Vermont Moms Blog, Davis Studio, and pictures with Santa all combine to make a fantastic kid party that includes crafts, snacks, Santa, and fun! December 2nd, 8:30am- 2:30pm at the Davis Studio in South Burlington.
- Gardener’s Supply Williston Breakfast with Santa: December 2nd, 3rd, and 9th
Make ornaments, visit with Santa, sing holiday songs, and decorate cookies. This is a fun opportunity to see Santa. Please purchase tickets in advance on the Gardener’s website.
- Essex Junction Tree Lighting and Train Hop: December 8th
This event runs from 6- 8pm and features model trains, Santa, music, and lights with the tree lighting at 6:15pm. The Essex Junction tree is located at the Village Center, additionally, there are free trolley rides to Maple Street Park.
- Holiday Tractor Parade: December 8th
Fun holiday activities beginning at 4pm at the Co-op. Visit with Santa, and enjoy some hot chocolate. The tractor parade begins at 6pm and starts and ends at the Co-op store. This event is free, please bring non-perishable food donations to help feed those in need.
- Dinner with Santa at Colchester Middle School: December 15th
Serving traditional breakfast fare for dinner from 6:15- 7:15pm. Wear your pajamas, come for a delicious meal, visit with Santa and enjoy a book reading. Sign up through the Colchester Parks and Rec department.
- A Christmas Story: The Musical: November 9th and 10th (7:30pm,) November 11th (2pm and 7:30pm,) and November 12th (2pm and 6:30pm).
Presented by The Lyric Theater at The Flynn Mainstage. A wonderful and comical remake of the classic movie. Best to purchase tickets in advance.
- A Christmas Carol at The Flynn Theater: December 8th
The classic holiday story, A Christmas Carol is performed at 7pm at the Flynn Theater for one night only. Purchase tickets in advance.
- Vermont’s Own Nutcracker at The Flynn Theater: December 16th (2pm and 7pm) and December 17th (1pm and 6pm)
Guaranteed to be a great show, and a wonderful opportunity to support local performers in a classic holiday performance. It is highly recommended to purchase tickets in advance through the Flynn.
Holiday Shopping Opportunities
- Vermont Handcrafters Art Show: November 17th (10am-8pm), November 18th (10am-6pm) and November 19th (10am-5pm)
Hosted by the Sheraton Conference Center, and featuring over 160 local artists and vendors, this show will be a great way to complete your holiday shopping list. Runs Friday 10-8, Saturday, 10-6, and also Sunday 10-5.
- Lake Champlain Waldorf School Holiday Fair: December 1st (6:30-9 pm,) December 2nd (10am-3 pm)
This holiday fair features crafts, food, and vendors.
- Holiday Artist Market: December 15th (4pm-8 pm) and December 16th (10am-5pm)
Contois Auditorium in Burlington City Hall hosts the Vermont Artists and Crafters Market with many local products to choose from. This market is a great way to spend a weekend and wrap up your holiday shopping.
- Touch of Vermont Holiday Gift Market: December 16th
Held from 9am-4pm at the City Hall of Montpelier, featuring over 45 local artists and vendors, it is a wonderful opportunity to complete your shopping list.
Shop local and enter to win some amazing giveaways!
- Santa’s Workshop at Davis Studio: December 6th and 16th
Kids get to make and wrap gifts to take home for friends and family. 9am-noon, $75 per child grades 1-6.
- Winter Gifts and Craft Making at Shelburne Farms: December 10th
With two sessions to choose from, 9:30- 11:30 and 12:30- 2:30. Design and create green gifts this holiday season. Pre-registration is required.
Other Holiday Fun Community Events
- Big Blue Express Trackless Train Rides: November 24th
Head over to Maple Tree Place in Williston between noon and 4pm for a free ride on a cool train. If you can’t make it on the 24th, check out the train on weekends through December 23rd. This holiday fun is sure to delight!
- Horse-Drawn Trolley Rides: November 24th
In addition to the Big Blue Express Train, there will also be complimentary horse-drawn trolley rides at Maple Tree Place in Williston. Rides offered from 1pm to 4pm, and if you can’t make it on the 24th, check out the Horse Drawn Trolley Rides on weekends through December 23rd.
- Jingle Bell Express: November 25th (noon and 2pm) and November 26th (10am and noon)
Have fun boarding a train in Burlington and riding to Charlotte and back. All proceeds benefit the Ronald McDonald house. Kids enjoy goodies, stories and singing on a fun holiday train ride. Tickets are $25 per person and may be purchased in advance.
- Shelburne Museum Deck the Halls: December 2nd and December 3rd
Spend the day walking the museum grounds, enjoying arts and crafts, visiting the decorated trees and enjoying music by local musicians. Open 11am-4pm.
- A River of Light in Waterbury: December 2nd
This festive sea of light parade begins at 5pm at Thatcher Brook Primary School in Waterbury. This is a community lantern procession where you are free to bring a lantern and participate in the parade or watch from the sidelines as the river of light floods the streets of Waterbury.
- Holiday Ice Skating Show: December 16th
Held at Leddy Arena in Burlington, this wonderful ice performance features local skaters and is a great family event. This show runs from 3pm-5pm and is by donation.
- Holiday Barn Lighting and Flock Move-in Day: December 16th
From 3pm-6pm at Moonrise Farm in Essex. Join Sweetpea the sheep and friends for wool crafts, hot chocolate sipping, and the barn lighting at 4pm.